What is GST registration?
GST Registration under the GST Law of business entity means getting a unique number from the tax department for the purpose of collecting tax on behalf of the government from the customers and also to avail Input Tax Credit for the taxes on his inward supplies like input, input services and capital goods.
- Documents required for registration
- GST registration fees
- GST registration limits
- Penalty for not registering
GST full form is Goods and Services Tax. It deals with both Goods and Services, hence the name GST i.e full form Goods and Services Tax.
Without gst registration, a person can’t collect tax from his clients nor claim any Input Tax Credit of tax paid by the person to his vendor. If after receiving registration, any changes has taken place then GST registration details can be suitably amended later.
What are the documents required for getting the GST registration?
GST online registration documents requirements are as follows:
- PAN card and Aadhar Card
- Business Address proof – Electricity bill and Rent agreement/NOC
- Cancelled cheque
- In case of Partnership firm – Partnership deed and KYC of all partners
- In case of LLP/Company – Incorporation Certificate and KYC of all directors
KYC means PAN and Aadhar Card/Passport/Driving License.
Person needs to register in each of such State or Union territory from where he effects supply. In GST online registration, the supplier is allotted a 15-digit GST identification number called “GSTIN”.
In other words, Registration under GST is not tax specific, which means that there is single registration for all the taxes i.e. CGST, SGST/UTGST, IGST and cesses.
Entity having its branches in multiple States will have to take separate state-wise registration for the branches in each different States.
How much time it takes to get the GST registration certificate?
If all the documents and information is correct then it will take 3 to 4 working days to get the registration certificate.
If the officer ask for additional information then it can take upto 25 working days to get the registration. Further, Working days doesn’t include holidays, Saturday and Sunday.
When to apply for GST registration?
An application for registration has to be submitted online within thirty days from the date when liability to register arise.
The Casual and Non-Resident taxable persons need to apply at least five days prior to the commencement of the business along with the security deposit.
GST registration fees
Government charges no fees for doing the registration. Earlier under VAT or Excise registration government use to charge fees and sometimes ask for deposit. Unlike, in GST regime there is NO registration fee.
GST Registration is free. However, the consultant may ask for his professional fees. If you require GST registration then feel free to contact us.
Who should register for GST?
Registration is not mandatory for following persons:
- Persons dealing in goods or services or both that are not liable to tax or wholly exempt from tax.
- An agriculturist, to the extent of supply of produce out of cultivation of land.
- Person engaged in making supplies (selling) the tax on which is liable to be paid on reverse charge basis by the recipient.
The GST law also enlists certain categories of suppliers who are required to get compulsory registration irrespective of their turnover, i.e. no threshold limit shall apply. Those are listed below:
- Inter-state suppliers of goods i.e. out of State.
- A person receiving supplies on which tax is payable by recipient on reverse charge basis
- Casual taxable person who is not having fixed place of business in the State or Union Territory from where he wants to make supply.
- Non-resident taxable persons who are not having fixed place of business in India.
- A person who supplies on behalf of some other taxable person (i.e. an Agent of Principal)
- E-commerce operators, who provide platform to the suppliers to supply through them For example – Flipkart, Amazon.
- Suppliers of goods who supply through an e-commerce operator. Example – Person selling goods through Flipkart, Amazon.
- Notified E-commerce operators i.e. Housekeeping, Taxi and Hotels services.
- TDS deductor and Input Service Distributor.
- Those supplying online information and database access or retrieval services from outside India to a non-registered person in India.
GST registration limits
Members of GST council from time to time decides the limit for gst registrations.
The small businesses having turnover below the threshold limit can voluntarily opt to register. But then then the liability to pay GST shall arise immediately even if the threshold limit is not reached.
Example – Mr Peter has taken GST registration for his new business yet to be started. He made a first Sale of Rs 2 lakhs. He think that as his sale is below threshold limit he is not liable to pay GST. This contention is wrong. once registration is taken liability starts immediately.
Who can register for Composition scheme under GST?
The composition levy is an alternative method of levy of tax designed for small taxpayers whose aggregate turnover is up to Rs. 1.50 crores. The objective of composition scheme is to bring simplicity and to reduce the compliance burden for the small taxpayers.
Furthermore, this scheme is optional; the eligible person choosing to pay under this scheme instead of paying tax at normal rate, will pay tax at a prescribed percentage of his turnover every quarter.
However, in the case of the following States, the limit of turnover is Rs. 75 lakhs – a) Arunachal Pradesh b) Assam c) Manipur d) Meghalaya e) Mizoram f) Nagaland g) Sikkim h) Tripura i) Himachal Pradesh.
What are the advantages of online GST registration?
Benefits of registration to a taxpayer:
- Legally recognized as supplier of goods or services.
- He is legally authorized to collect taxes from his customers and pass on the credit of the taxes.
- He can claim Input Tax Credit of taxes paid and can utilize the same for payment of taxes due on supply of goods or services.
- Seamless flow of Input Tax Credit from suppliers to recipients at the national level.
- Increases the credibility of the Business, thus helps in attracting more customers.
- Limited compliance needs to be done by composition dealers.
What is GST number?
All businesses that successfully register under GST are assigned a unique Goods and Services Tax Identification Number also known as GSTIN or GST number or GST no.
Every registered person shall display Goods and Services Tax Identification Number on the name board and registration certificate in a prominent location at his principal place of business and at every additional place or places of business.
Amendments – In case the change is for legal name of the business, or the State of place of business or additional place of business, the taxable person will apply for amendment (change) within 15 days of the event necessitating the change.
What is GST portal?
GST portal is the website to access gst related services. GST portal address is gst.gov.in
You can watch the gst online registration process video through the following link: GST registration video and manuals
What is GST login and GST registration search?
Link to gst login – https://services.gst.gov.in/services/login
Search GST of registered persons – https://services.gst.gov.in/services/searchtpbypan
GST online registration link – https://reg.gst.gov.in/registration
Penalty for not registering under GST
Any person required to take registration has not taken will be paying a penalty of Rs 10,000 along with 100% penalty of tax amount.
If you still have any query feel free to comment below we will reply back asap.